….both naïve and complex, beautiful and intense, these are words that can best describe “residual hum from a parallel universe” by SomewhereNotHere, the solo project from ex FULC guitarist Rik Clay.
With an experimental electronic vibe not dissimilar to a latter day “Low” era Bowie, the tracks on this album were born in 2006 and are being released now, two and a half years after Riks sad death in 2008.
An album of two halves, the first cd being “Memorial”, a collection of tracks that Rik recorded as part of his SomewhereNotHere project, the second cd being “Tribute”, which sees vocal collaborations on Riks work by Owen Brinley ( Colour of Fire / Grammatics ), Chris Catalyst ( Eureka Machines / Sisters of Mercy ) and Michelle Richfield ( Sear / Anathema ) as well as tribute tracks specifically recorded for the project by Martin Grech, Vessels and Fiction and the Fear ( Riks former band mates from Ten Seconds of Chaos ). The double album digipak is rounded off by a couple of rare FULC recordings and three videos on the enhanced “Tribute” cd.
A musical snapshot, that barely scratches the surface of where Rik was taking his music with SomewhereNotHere, this album forms a portable memorial for anyone who wants to delve into the music of this enigmatic character.
Memorial - CD 1
1. No Complication - SomewhereNotHere
2. Tired - SomewhereNotHere
3. Adrift - SomewhereNotHere
4. Hope - SomewhereNotHere
5. Nothing Fades - SomewhereNotHere
6. The Soul Within - SomewhereNotHere
7. Somewherenothere - SomewhereNotHere
8. At Peace - SomewhereNotHere
9. Release - SomewhereNotHere
Tribute - CD 2
10. Safe Plans - Fiction & The Fear
11. The Boy Who Cried Wolf - John Clay
12. Adrift - SomewhereNotHere FT. Owen Brinley
13. Zentih - Martin Grech
14. Nothing Fades - SomewhereNotHere FT. Chris Catalyst
15. At Peace - SomewhereNotHere FT. Michelle Richfield
16. Heal - Vessels
17/18 - Intro to Dolly/Pedestal - FULC
Videos on Tribute CD:
No Complication - John Clay
Wasting - (FULC) Adam Mason
Hair Trigger/Broken - (FULC) Howard Hayes